Thursday, February 19, 2009

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO…

WHAT FILM DO YOU THINK SHOULD WIN?

The day is almost here and there are Oscar parties planned everywhere. I happen to be attending the REEL Ladies Oscar Viewing Party @ Lola’s – you should join me. But when I accepted the invitation a incident came to mind. I’ll share…

Okay, so a few weeks ago I get invited to attend a screening of “The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons” @ WGA and of course there’s a Q&A to follow. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and did not at all feel the length.

I loved the premise and I thought Taraji P. Henson, as Queenie, was awesome. I was fasinated by the storyline, although there are those that say it was very much like “Forrest Gump” – but the interesting part to me is that I learned during the Q&A that the film was originally set in Baltimore – that got me to thinking -- to move the setting to New Orleans would have required quite a bit of re-write to make the characters fit the region and how they would relate to what was going on around them.

Another interesting point was that even though there was a mother/son relationship between Benjamin (Brad Pitt), and Queenie, there was great independence, a distance, if you will between the two characters also. Queenie seemed to have an understanding of who Benjamin was without knowing exactly who he was – and never curious as to where he came from. Queenie did show some traits of a southern mother, but it was stretched, for me. Benjamin never felt it odd or questioned that his mother was a different color; as he never felt it was too odd that he was old and growing younger -- that he questioned, but quietly accepted. And somehow the writer was able to sell it to the point the audience never thought it odd either, at least not the audience that I was viewing it with. I guess just “Curious” as the title indicates.

I have to admit, however, when Brad - OOPS! I mean Benjamin made it to the peak of his manhood (when he came of age), in that shirtless scene and the motorcycle scene; I was very happy! (Actually wanted to slap Angelina - but I came back, remembered it was Benjamin Buttons). ;-) Anyway, Benjamin was a very good looking man, better than Brad Pitt actually. But I digress...
I saw a few more things that left me with a couple of questions, but I’ll let it rest.

However, my question here relates to the “curious” question the audience was asked. Towards the end of the session the writer asked – “What is it about Slumdog Millionaire? I saw it, but I didn’t get it? Was it that good?” that was a bit funny to me and ”curious” – but then I saw it.

Both films have been nominated in the following categories:

  • CINEMATOGRAPHY
  • DIRECTING
  • FILM EDITING
  • BEST PICTURE
  • SOUND MIXING
  • WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

Now, I didn’t understand that question until last night when I saw that last category.

So tell me what do you think?

Who should win in each category?

You can go here to see all the nominees:
OSCAR NOMINEES
http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

Written by: Jennifer Williams

No comments: