Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars - No, Not the Fashion!


Did you watch last night?

The Oscars, that is. I did. I was fortunate enough to have been invited to a wonderful Oscar Viewing Party @ The Independent Downtown Theater on Main Street. That theater is very nice. The seats were really comfortable considering; unlike watching at the movies for 2 hours max, I was sitting from approximately 5 pm – 9 pm.

The new format was very interesting. I enjoyed it, because it held your attention and kept you on your toes -- you didn’t know what would come next. I believe you can always change things and tweak as you go along. The real interesting change was the 5 presenters. It has potential, but what seemed to be missing from some of the praises for the nominees was the Presenters' sincerity. There were a few of them that I totally felt they truly believed what they were saying. But when a few stumbled reading the monitor, it gave it all away and made the entire thing feel a little plastic. I think this could really work if the presenters weren’t just previously nominated actors in this category, but rather actors that are close to the nominee. Then I think as one commentator explained; if it is the explanation of how they were nominated for the category; then each speech should contain those elements.




The performances were interesting – that’s all I got on that, interesting.



Now, Eddie Murphy presenting to Jerry Lewis, well he gave the connection – well the one they wanted you to believe, “One Nutty Professor to another.” So, explain John Legend singing Peter Gabriel’s song (for Wall-E), after he protested? Controversy? Umm... Let’s use a Black guy. I don’t know if Eddie Murphy was in the original plan, but I know John Legend wasn’t. Okay, that’s just my two cents.



What did you think of the new format?


Anyway, on my mind are of course the winners for “Best Screenplay” and “Best Adapted Screenplay”. Were you all shocked at all?



I must say I was quite happy and pleased with the winners. By each of them winning, I knew, at that very moment, that me standing on that stand one day is not far away. I also heard Hill Harper’s words ringing in my ears, “It all begins with the script…” I think that was very true for last night's winners. I believe many films being made rely too much on the “A” List Actor, putting butts in the seats, rather than focusing on the script. The story that must be told, the story that should be told must always come first, rather than the story that they glaze over with beautiful faces, well-known names, and hot bodies. It seems just having Brad Pitt didn't do it for the Academy voters this time. The 'down-on-your-luck', 'hit the rock bottom', comeback kid, didn't do it for them either.



I have stories to tell – real-life stories, fictionalized truths, and fiction. I have several scripts, too for both the big and small screen. Now it’s down to the polishing and making sure they’re ready.


Actually, I don’t think it’s far away for any OBS member or the many writers I’ve come to know over the past two years.

You have to just keep re-writing; then re-write, and re-write, and re-write!

When is your turn?


What have you written or are you re-writing to take you there?



The Oscars – No, Not the Fashion!
Written By: Jennifer Williams

No comments: